« Home | Update with Pictures » | Update - first post in 2 weeks » | The pace is picking up » | Good news » | September 25 update » | Progress at last » | Waiting is painful » | 1st Post since Ireland Trip » | Last post before Ireland trip » | Building Inspector Visit » 

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 

October 25th at McDyer's Publick House


We've started to lay the tiles for the kitchen floor. I purchased the quarry tiles at Home Depot for a very good price. Unfortunately, I think that the price is low because the tiles are not uniform. Some edges are concave, some are straight and some are crooked. Some tiles are about 1/18" larger than most. I'm doing a pretty good job in laying the tiles, but some gaps are uneven due to the variations in the tiles.

Dominion Power told me that they should be out the week of November 10th to provide us with the power that we need. That will push back our opening date until December 1st.

I've placed ads in the Washington Post and in the Northern Virginia Daily News for all positions. The response has been limited but I can live with that. Most applicants want to be a bartender or chef.





The plumber has started on installing the gas lines. Most of the basic plumbing work is complete until we install the toilets, sinks and such.


The flooring is being installed in the dining room. It looks like it will come out really well. Originally I wanted the flooring stained a dark color, such as mahogany. After the installation began I decided that I liked the character of the wood and wanted the worm holds, knots and such to be visible. We're just going to polyurethane the flooring after it is sanded.